Our qualifications are simple. Volunteers must:
- have the desire to meet new people and make new friends;
- be interested in helping others and making a difference in our world while broadening their range of skills and knowledge;
- have the desire to share their love with a child in need (previous experience working with children is helpful but not required);
- be at least 18 years of age;
- complete orientation and follow procedures;
- provide two written references;
- commit to working a four hour shift one day a week for at least three months.
- complete a criminal background check
- complete health requirement including TB test and provide proof of MMR vaccination
Due to the volume of applications we receive each week, it can take up to two weeks for Volunteer Services staff to follow up on applications. If it has been two full weeks since you submitted your application and you have not heard from Children's Hospital, please call the Volunteer Services and Resources Department at (865) 541-8136.
The Children's Hospital Volunteer Services and Resources Department offers many areas where you may choose to contribute your time. Morning, afternoon and evening shifts on weekdays or weekends are available in many areas. You can choose the times that best fit your schedule.
Some of the volunteer opportunities we offer at Children's Hospital include the following:
- Child Life - Volunteers assist the child life specialists in play and play therapy.
- Critical Care Lounge - Volunteers provide assistance to the staff and families whose children are in the Haslam Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- East Tennessee Children's Hospital Rehabilitation Center - The Rehabilitation Center, located on Westland Drive at Pellissippi Parkway in West Knoxville, provides family-centered rehabilitation therapy services. Volunteers at the center help with a variety of programs. Volunteering at the Rehab Center is a great opportunity for students studying physical, occupational or speech therapy.
- Gift Shop - Volunteers provide assistance with pricing, restocking and working as a sales clerk. Cash register training is provided.
- Information Desk - The Information Desk volunteers provide general information about Children's Hospital to our guests.
- Outpatient Clinics - Volunteers assist in clinic activities and in the clinic play areas.
- Pediatric Medical Library - The library provides resources for our staff. Volunteers assist in reshelving books and helping to maintain the library.
- Surgery Lounge - Volunteers assist parents and family members as they wait for their children who are in surgery.
- PICU/NICU Lounge - Volunteers assist parents and family members of our patients in the pediatric intensive care and neonatal intensive care units.
Job requirements vary by volunteer position, but the key qualities you need to volunteer at Children's Hospital are a pleasant and outgoing personality and a willingness to help. In return, you will receive a meal allowance and complimentary parking. If you are a student, you may also benefit from practical experience in a field related to your major.